Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I can't believe I am finally planting.....

     Most of my winter projects are finally completed so it's TIME TO PLANT ! Hallelujah. Seed deliveries have been arriving and my green thumb has been getting twitchy.
     The soil in the hoop house is ready for planting so I started with it. I like variety so I planted multiple selections of spinach, bok choy, carrots, beets, radishes, kales, chards, mustards and lettuces. I also planted sugar snap peas, kohlrabi and broccoli raab. Soil temperatures in the hoop house have been fairly warm so germination should not be an issue with most of these seeds. If the February weather would have been a bit more frigid, I may have presoaked some of those seeds.
     That was a good couple of days work. I hope that the seeds appreciate all the preparation and hard work needed to make them happy so far.
     After completely planting the hoop house, I began seeding trays for future transplanting into the hoop house. I have begun several trays for broccoli, tomato, onions, leeks and romaine transplants. I hope by the time these seedlings are ready to transplant, a spot will have been created by a hoop house harvest.
     In a few weeks I will begin seeding trays for the rest of the MicroFarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment